top of page

Work Development Orders






How to request a work and development order


Work and development orders (WDO) are made by SDRO to allow eligible clients to reduce their fines through unpaid work with an approved organisation and through certain courses or treatment. You are an eligible client if you:

  • have a mental illness, intellectual disability or cognitive impairment

  • are homeless

  • have a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or volatile substances

  • are experiencing financial hardship to satisfy their fines through unpaid work with an approved organisation or through certain courses or treatment.


For information about WDOs and the activities you can do, download the Work and development order factsheet (PDF)


To apply for a WDO you need to find an approved sponsor organisation or health practitioner to support your WDO activity. Your sponsor can lodge your application online.


If you do not meet the eligibility criteria and are applying under exceptional circumstances, you need to fill out a written Work and development order - exceptional circumstances application (PDF).


Your sponsor will help you through the application process.

For all enquiries related to WDO client applications and related reporting please contact SDRO on 1300 478 879 (Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm) or email


If you have fines with the NSW State Debt Recovery Office) you might be able to pay these debts off through a Work and Development program.


Depending on your situation, you may be able to work your fines off, do a course, or get treatment for a drug, alcohol or psychological problem. You will need to fit certain criteria to do this. 


JobQuest is approved to accept Work Development Orders for the following 3 areas:

  • Voluntary unpaid work

  • Educational/vocational or life skills course

  • Mentoring program (persons under 25 years)

bottom of page